Thursday, March 28, 2013

Who's been peeking at your secure data recently?


Using Google Drive, Dropbox, iCloud or even Skydrive – ever wonder where your data is actually located and more importantly who can look at it when they choose?

I recently test drove the NetGear Vault as a backup for my office based fault tolerant NAS – I love the system - and was about to sign up for the Vault service, as any serious business needs to have its data stored in an accessible off-site facility, when I wondered where the data was stored and how private it and inaccessible to others it was.

Being very aware of the no-holes barred US laws for invading ones privacy, I decided to ask where my data would be stored before I signed on the dotted line.

“We store your data in a data warehouse deep in a granite mountainside” – impressive eh?
I was impressed until I found that all data was stored in the deep granite mountainside in the good ole US of A.

“Can I please have my data stored in Canada or even better in Europe?” - I asked.

“Sorry they said we only store data in the US.”

As you may figure I did not sign with Netgear, and am still looking for an organization in Canada that will store my data in Canada and is not a telecommunications GIANT – they charge small business too much – any one have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment